St. Johns Famine Graveyard

This graveyard was opened in August 1847 for the burial of those who died in the Tipperary Workhouse & Fever Hospital during the Great Famine. Their identity is known only to God. Adjacent was the Fever hospital on which site was the first foundation of the Sisters of Mercy in Tipperary and from 1868-1941 the site of the Old Monastery of the Irish Christian Brothers.
Skip to content