Things To See
Things To See
Main Street, Tipperary TownLocal Fenians
Patriot, Writer and Fenian, Charles Kickham has pride of place on the Main Street, where his statue is situated.
A plaque to Tipperary Town born Fenian John O’Leary marks his family home further along the same street. John O'Leary was immortalised by the poet W.B. Yeats with the lines "Romantic Ireland's dead and gone it's with O'Leary in the grave".
Station Road, TipperaryMilitary Barracks
Close to the Tipperary railway station, the military barracks was one of the most ornate to be built in Ireland during the British occupation. It was designed and built between 1872 & 1878 at a cost of £25,000. Constructed of limestone, it featured high ceilings and many French windows, giving a feeling of light and space to the interior causing those who occupied it to surmise that it would have been better suited to the hot climate of India or the Far East instead of the damp chilly climes of Ireland. It was lit by gas and had state-of-the-art facilities for the troops and their families. Today, only the water-tower and some fragments of the ancillary buildings of the barracks complex remain, including ‘The Arch’ which was the entrance to the Officers' Mess. Part of the main mess building is now a health and social welfare facility.
Canon Hayes House, Tipperary TownMuintir na Tíre
The national community development organisation, Muintir na Tíre, was founded in 1937 by Canon John Hayes when he was a curate in Tipperary Town. Muintir na Tíre aims to enhance the capacities of people in communities, rural and urban, to become involved in local social, economic, cultural and environmental development. The organisation which has its headquarters at Canon Hayes House in Tipperary Town, also promotes the national crime prevention programme 'Community Alert'.visit website
Dillon Street / Emmet StreetNew Tipperary
Dillon Street and Emmet street are the two streets that make up the area known as ’New Tipperary’ as it became known in 1888-89 when the tenants in the town withheld their rents in solidarity with the tenants of the local Landlord Smith Barry in Co Cork. The Tipperary tenants were evicted and moved to an area of the town not owned by the Landlord. What happened in Tipperary was unique in that a great sacrifice was made, not for selfish reasons, but to help tenants elsewhere. Smith Barry’s tenants decided to leave their shops and homes in the centre of town and build a ‘New Town’ on land outside his control. Dillon Street was at the centre of this extraordinary enterprise and was built by local labour with funds raised abroad. Compromise was reached eventually and the tenants returned to the town centre. Today both streets remain largely untocuhed with little evidence of the previous turmoil apparent.
Church Street, Tipperary TownSt Mary's Church
St.Mary's Church Of Ireland, a cruciform structure with pinnacle gables, tower and a graceful spire, was built in 1831. It has two memorials to the soldiers of "The Great War" (1914-1918). On an interior wall at the rear of the church is an engraved brass plaque which is the Abbey Grammar School war memorial and the splendid East Window of the church created in 1917 is a memorial to three members of one family who died within 6 months in 1916, one of whom was the Reverend Bell of St. Mary's. Christopher Emmet, grandfather of the Irish Patriot Robert is buried in the church grounds as is Ellen O’Leary, Poet and sister of the Fenian leader John O’Leary.
St Michael's Road, Tipperary TownSt Michael's Church
St. Michael's Catholic Church is gothic in style and was built in 1859. It has fine lancet windows and has a beautiful stone entrance to the main body of the church. In the side chapel on the right of the main altar is a very fine stained glass ‘World War 1’ memorial window that honours the memory of a Major John Carlon Markes, who was killed in action on 19th July 1916 aged 36 at the Battle of the Somme, one of the greatest battles of World War 1. A soldier noted for his distinguished service, Major Markes was husband to Philomena Ryan, a niece of Canon Arthur Ryan, Parish Priest of St. Michael's Church from 1903 to 1922. Major Markes is buried in grave number L27 of Carnoy Military Cemetery, in the region of The Somme in Northern France, not far from the town of Albert.
Station Road, TipperaryThe Arch
In the absence of a Memorial on the island of Ireland specifically dedicated to the memory of all the Irishmen and women who made the ultimate sacrifice for the cause of peace and freedom at home and abroad, ‘The Arch’ remembers those who came home from the conflicts seriously injured or maimed, those who did not and those who remain listed as missing to this day.visit website
“Tipperary Remembrance Arch is dedicated to ensuring that their sacrifice is not forgotten".
Main Street, Tipperary TownThe Maid of Erin
The Statue the stands in the town in memory of Martyrs, Allen, Larkin and O’Brien who were executed outside Salford prison on November 23rd 1867 for their alleged role in the rescue of a Fenian prisoner in Manchester on the previous September during which a policeman was killed.
Station Road, TipperaryThe Workhouse
Work began on the Tipperary Workhouse building in 1839 following an act passed in 1838 that would see the poor and destitute given a refuge. The building had its first inhabitants in July 1841. The chapel was added in 1871. Tipperary Workhouse serviced a large part of West Tipperary and East Limerick and had accommodation for seven hundred. Workhouses are particularly remembered for their role during the Great Famine of the late 1840's and the Tipperary Workhouse was no exception. By early 1848, Tipperary Workhouse was overcrowded and the mortality rate was high. 1850 for example saw over twelve hundred people die in Tipperary of whom sixty per cent were children. All burial's took place in the St. John's Famine Graveyard situated in the Tipperary Hills. The Workhouse Chapel has been completely restored and the main building is in the latter stages of restoration.
North of Tipperary TownTipperary Hills
The Tipperary Hills is a public park in the northern part of Tipperary Town. It consists of 8.4 Hectares (approximately 21 acres). The area was formed at the end of the last ice age, and with much of it undeveloped, it is likely to be much the same as it was back then.
In the area nearest the town, there are a number of sporting facilities including the Pitch and Putt greens and a handball alley. The Clanwilliam rugby ground is also situated adjacent to the hills. The Hills have become an important recreational area for the people of Tipperary Town and the Town Council has an ambitious program of enhancement underway.
Included historical noteworthy such as the St John’s Famine Graveyard and an old Norman Motte.
Main Street, Tipperary TownTraditional Victorian Shopfronts
Change has taken place with the addition of a shopping centre on the outskirts of town, but in the main streets the original character of the town is still to be seen and experienced.
Tipperary TownTwin Towns
Tipperary is twinned with Parthenay in France, and more recently with Mautern (Austria).
Soloheahbeg, Co. TipperaryWar of Independence
The Soloheadbeg Ambush in County Tipperary was one of the most important episodes of The War of Independence. It was here that the first shots of that conflict were fired on the 21st January 1919. Coincidentally, this was the same date as the first meeting of Dail Eireann in Dublin.
Soloheadbeg is a townland, some two miles outside Tipperary Town. Gelignite was being carried to the local quarry by two council workers, Godfrey and Flynn, guarded by two armed RIC Constables, McDonnell and O'Connell. Volunteers led by Treacy and Breen lay in wait for the convoy, hiding in a small disused quarry along their route. When the convoy drew close, the Volunteers emerged and challenged them, shooting dead both Constables who had attempted to ready their rifles. The rebels then rapidly withdrew, taking the gelignite. Treacy, Breen and Hogan went on the run. As a result of this action, South Tipperary was placed under martial law and declared a Special Military Area under The Defence of the Realm Act.
During the War of Independence the body of Michael Edmonds of Tipperary Town was found on the right of the cup and saucer. He was shot by British forces and a memorial marks the spot.
War of Independence memorabilia and photos can be seen at the Sean Treacy Memorial Pool.
- find useful information
- get to tipperary town
- view a map of the town
- find our visitor centre
- do genealogy research
- learn about TIRD / chamber of commerce
- find businesses in tipperary
Subscribe to Our eNews
Enter your e-mail address to subscribe to our mailing list.
Visitor Information Centre
Tipperary Excel Arts & Cultural Centre
Phone +353 (0)62 80520
Fax +353 (0)62 80550
Ach Na Sheen Guesthouse
Aherlow House Hotel & Lodges
Ballyglass Country House
Canon Hayes Recreational Centre
Caitriona Kenny Photography
Dundrum House Hotel
Empire of Fun
Health Shop & Holistic Centre
Tipp Mid West Radio
Tipperary Excel Centre
Tipperary Golf Club